Association!

 

Grandsire Bhisma said to Duryodhana to not pursue war any further. After saying this, he became silent, applying himself to the practice of mystic yoga while awaiting the auspicious time for passing away from this material world. Duryodhana had heard the beneficial words spoken by the Grandsire, but he declined to accept them, just like a dying man who refuses to take medicine

 

All the warriors returned to their respective camps. After their departure, Karna came alone to Bhisma, who was lying on his bed of arrows with his eyes closed. After falling down at the Grandsire's feet to offer obeisances, Karna quietly announced: O Bhisma, it is me, Karna, who had formerly looked upon you with so much hatred. Upon hearing this, Bhisma slowly opened his eyes. After dismissing the guards so that they could be alone, he affectionately embraced Karna with his one free arm

 

Bhisma said: My dear Karna, you are actually the son of Kunti & not the son of Adhiratha. Thus, your enmity toward the Pandavas is simply due to ignorance. Because of the circumstances surrounding your birth, and due to your association with evil-minded persons, an animosity developed within your heart towards the righteous Pandavas

 

Actually, I bear no malice towards you. It is only because you envied the Pandavas that I treated you so harshly. Otherwise, I admire you, for I know that you’re equal to Arjuna in prowess. Now, pls honor my request & join your real brothers, the Pandavas. In this way evil minded Duryodhana will be forced to come to his senses & give up fighting with his cousins

 

Karna replied: O Grandsire! I long ago learned about the truth of my birth. Still, I took Duryodhana’s side because I was dedicated to him. Now I’m unwilling to abandon Duryodhana’s cause & so it is too late for me to discard my enmity towards Arjuna. Pls give me permission to enter the battle & also forgive me for any harsh words I may have spoken to you in the past

 

Bhisma replied: My dear Karna, I forgive you, for it is natural for powerful warriors to boast & exhibit harsh behavior towards one another. I gladly give you permission to fight with the Pandavas & thus attain heavenly destination. For a Kshatriya, there is no greater happiness than that which is experienced upon obtaining the opportunity to fight in a righteous battle. Thereafter Karna mounted his chariot & departed for Duryodhana’s quarters

 

Association we keep defines who we are & what we will become

 

dhyāyato viṣayān puṁsaḥ saṅgas teṣūpajāyate
saṅgāt sañjāyate kāmaḥ kāmāt krodho ’bhijāyate

 

The company that we keep plays a significant role in our lives. Our desires, habits & goals are often dependent on the association that we are in. Associating with cultured people helps us develop good habits & with corrupt people makes us corrupt generally. The scriptures therefore repeatedly recommend that we avoid bad & keep good association.

 

Devotee association reduces one’s inspiration to enjoy sense gratification, increase one’s inspiration to serve and get attached to Sri Kṛṣṇa. An intelligent person should reject all bad association and take to the association of saintly devotees, whose words cut off the excessive attachment of one’s mind

Thoughts? #gameoflife

Comments

Popular posts from this blog