Humble!

Parasuram laughingly accepted Bhisma's challenge by saying: It is my good fortune that this opportunity to fight has come to me of its own accord. I can assure you that your mother, Ganqa-devi, will weep this very day seeing vultures eating your dead body

Bhisma respectfully bowed down before Parasuram & went to inform Satyavati of the impending duel. After receiving his stepmother's blessings, he mounted his silver chariot drawn by white horses & set out. He was dressed completely in white & he wore a white crown. Overhead was placed a white umbrella & he was fanned by white camaras

Bhisma & Parasuram soon arrived at Kurukshetra, eager to display their prowess. Seeing Parasuram coming before him, Bhisma blew his great white conch shell. At that time, he noticed how all the chief demigods & sages had assembled in sky to witness the battle. Parasuram was accompanied by numerous sages, & they surrounded the battlefield to watch

Just as fighting was about to begin, Ganga-devi came to Bhisma & implored: Son, pls don’t fight with Parasuram. He is a brahmana & you’re ignorant of the extent of his prowess. If you do not desist, I will personally go to Parasuram & beg him to spare you

Bhisma tried to dissuade his mother by describing the incidents leading up to battle. Ganga-devi went to Parasuram anyway & begged him not to fight with her son

Parasuram replied: O goddess, it is Bhisma who you should implore, for this disagreement came about when he refused to obey my order to marry Amba

At this, Ganga-devi returned to Bhisma, but her repeated pleas simply made him irritated. As Bhisma adamantly refused to comply with his mother's wishes, Parasuram approached him for battle. Bhisma smiled & said: O Lord, I don’t want to combat someone standing on ground. Pls get onto a chariot before approaching me to fight.

Parasuram smiled & said: The earth is my chariot; Vedas are my horses & wind is my driver. I don’t require an ordinary chariot like you. After saying this, he released a shower of arrows. Next moment, Bhisma saw the son of Jamadagni riding a chariot created by his own will. Akrtavrana was the driver & chariot filled with all kinds of weapons. Parasuram released 3 more showers of arrows. Bhisma got down from his chariot so that he could approach his former preceptor on foot

After reverently worshiping Parasuram, Bhisma requested: O Lord, please give me your blessings so that I may come out victorious. Parasuram replied: Bhisma, I would’ve cursed you if you had not come here & offered your respects, recognizing me as your guru. Still, I’ll not give you my blessings for victory, because I have come here to vanquish you

Genuine humility for a higher cause is empowering & not impeding. It is not thinking less of yourself but it’s thinking of yourself less, devoid of false ego. We will not be a loser by being humble as it brings sweetness in words & softness in behavior, which saves us of many pains

Be humble! Thoughts? #gameoflife

Comments

Popular posts from this blog