Diplomacy!

Akrtavrana said: I think Bhisma should be punished, for if he hadn’t kidnapped you, Salva would've married you. Besides, I know that Bhisma is very proud of his strength. It would be good to cut down his false prestige

Amba said: I must admit that I'd love to see Bhisma killed in battle. Still, because I’m helpless, I will leave the matter in your hands

Next morning, Lord Parasuram came to sages' asrama. Dressed in deerskin, with matted hair, carrying an axe, sword, bow & surrounded by disciples, he approached King Hotravahana. After being worshiped by all, the Lord took his seat. Finally, after conversing with Lord for some time, the King took opportunity to introduce Amba

When the king mentioned how Amba needed assistance, Parasuram asked her to come forward & explain her difficulty. Amba came, bowed down & touched his feet, & stood silently with folded hands. Then, exhibiting her womanly nature, she began to cry & in her grief took shelter of Jamadagni's son. Being very compassionate, Parasuram assured Amba that he would fulfill her desires & then urged her to speak, being very curious as to what was on her mind

Amba narrated her story & hearing it, the Lord pondered over the matter for some time, wondering what he should do. Finally, arriving at a conclusion, he inquired: Dear Amba, what would you like me to do? Should it be Bhisma or Salva who I force to marry you?

Amba said: You may decide what you think is best. But after a brief pause, she added: I must admit that my real desire is for you to kill Bhisma, even as he kidnapped me, I felt that he should be killed for his ignoble act

Lord said: I’ve renounced use of weapons & so I never engage in fighting, except at the request of brahmanas. Hence, ask for something else. However, Amba insisted that Bhisma be killed & so Lord tried to pacify her by saying:If you order me to do so, I can force Bhisma to place your feet upon his head

Amba said: Lord! You've already promised to fulfill my desire. Therefore, you must kill Bhisma

Akrtavrana intervened, saying: O Lord, if you challenge Bhisma to fight & if he admits defeat without taking up weapons, your purpose will be served. Remember, you had vowed to give protection to all those who seek your shelter. Besides, you had promised to kill any proud kshatriya who would conquer all the kings of the earth. Bhisma has done this & so you should make good your word by confronting him on battlefield

Parasuram said: Dear Akrtavrana, what you say is true, but since the situation is very grave, I’ll first take Amba to Hastinapur. If Bhisma does not voluntarily obey my command, I will kill him in battle

Parasuram then set out, accompanied by Amba & the sages

Diplomacy is the art of saying things in such a way that those to whom we speak listen to it with pleasure. It is the alignment of objectives & means. It is a very subtle and nuanced craft by which we can get things done by others, our way, without much fuss

Thoughts? #gameoflife

Comments

Popular posts from this blog