Destined or?

 

Vidura said to Dhritrāshtra: You already knew well inherent evil of gambling & I warned you about what would happen before the game of dice commenced. And yet, even though your sons were like crows, you wanted them to vanquish Pāndavās, who are like peacocks. You forsake mighty lions & instead protected envious jackals

 

O King! These are qualities of a person in whom you should place your trust. One who is truthful, grateful, peaceful in mind & a staunch controller of senses. He is devoid of deceitful tendencies & his speech is always pleasing. You’ve forsaken pious Yudhisthira & given rule of kingdom to Duryodhana, ensuring all your prosperity will be lost

 

At this point Dhritrāshtra objected saying: It’s my opinion that man is not the architect of his prosperity or adversity. We are all controlled by destiny, which acts under supervision of almighty creator. We are simply puppets dancing according to will of the Supreme

 

Vidura said: You may remember how at the time of Duryodhana’s birth, I had advised you to abandon him for welfare of greater family. When rejection of something brings about a great pain, it is not a loss. Similarly, the gain that in the long run brings about a great loss is not actually a gain

 

Dhritrāshtra interrupted saying: I can never abandon my sons, no matter what my intelligence dictates

 

Vidura said: You don’t understand how dangerous it is to associate with wicked people. One should enjoy life peacefully along with one’s relatives. Why should you allow yourself to be dragged into a family quarrel? Give Pāndavās at least some villages & in this way avoid fighting with them

 

Dhritrāshtra said: I am inclined to favor Pāndavās as you’re suggesting. But as soon as I meet my son Duryodhana, my mind turns in another direction. I feel that I’ve no power to exert myself. I can thus see how my life is being directed by all powerful destiny. I don’t think that I don’t appreciate your good advice. Your talks are enlightening & so I request you to speak for a while longer

 

Vidura said: Even though I speak at great length, your convictions never change. I suggest you to hear from Sanat Kumāra, so that your doubts may be dispelled. He is the foremost authority on transcendental knowledge

 

Vidura is trying his best to take Dhritrāshtra out of the path of his destruction. But will he succeed?

 

We also face reversals in our life & may blame destiny for our situation. Why destiny has been so unfair to me? It is quite natural to feel bad when things go wrong, but it is not natural to perpetually wallow in those bad feelings. Life has to move on & we should have maturity to recognize reality

 

Whatever has happened is gone & cannot be changed. But we should focus on things that are still changeable, which are under our control. Such pragmatic acceptance becomes easier when we have a spiritual world-view

 

Krsna says

yaḥ sarvatrānabhisnehas tat tat prāpya śubhāśubham
nābhinandati na dveṣṭi tasya prajñā pratiṣṭhitā

 

In the material world, one who is unaffected by whatever good or evil he may obtain, neither praising it nor despising it, is firmly fixed in perfect knowledge

 

Do we?  Thoughts? #gameoflife


Comments

Popular posts from this blog