To serve!


What was the secret about Karna that Surya had alluded to in dream? asked King Janmejaya from Vaisampāyana


In reply he said: Once Durvāsa Muni came to King Kuntibhoja’s palace. He said: I would like to reside here for some time & accept food from you as alms, provided no one displeases me. The King welcomed the effulgent sage & said: Pls don’t worry. My daughter Prthā will see to all your needs & I’m confident that you will be pleased by her impeccable service


He called Prthā & informed: I’ve accepted sage Durvāsa as guest, relying upon your aptitude for rendering service to Brāhmanās. I assured sage that there will never be slightest cause for his displeasure. Make sure that my words don’t prove false. I warn you that if he becomes angry, his wrath can destroy my entire dynasty. Due to your gentle nature, not even one servant is ever displeased with you & thus I consider you fit to serve him


Kunti said: Be assured that I will serve him meticulously & he’ll never experience slightest dissatisfaction. The King embraced his daughter & instructed her with regards to her duties. He then presented her to Durvāsa & said: Great Sage! Pls forgive any fault this child may commit due to her tender age. Brāhmanās never become angry at old men, children & other sages


The king showed Muni excellent rooms, made ready for his stay. Thereafter, Prthā began serving him as if he were a god. Sometimes Durvāsa would go out informing Kunti that he wouldn't return until next morning. Then he would unexpectedly return that very evening or even in middle of night. In spite of all this, Prthā was always ready 24x7 to serve him


Even when Durvāsa chastised her for some slight fault, Kunti would never respond by saying anything. Finally after residing for one full year, when Muni couldn’t find a single fault with Prthā, he called her & said: Dear Princess! I’m very satisfied by your faultless behavior & selfless service. I want you to accept a benediction that will enable your fame to surpass all other women in this world


Kunti said: Dear Brāhmanā, since you & my father are both pleased, I feel that I’ve already received ample benedictions


The appreciation we get for our service is not as important as satisfaction we get in making others happy. Whenever we do something, it is driven by some sort of motivation. And depending upon how profound our motivation is, we persevere in our activities facing obstacles which may come


Absorption in service could be driven by acceptance, appreciation, respect etc. These factors are dependent upon externals & may or may not happen. But the biggest motivator is enrichment & fulfillment we have when we do anything with an intent to please Supreme Lord Krsna


mayy eva mana ādhatsva mayi buddhiṁ niveśaya

nivasiṣyasi mayy eva ata ūrdhvaṁ na saṁśayaḥ


Just fix your mind upon Me, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and engage all your intelligence in Me. Thus you will live in Me always, without a doubt


Thoughts? #gameoflife

Comments

Popular posts from this blog