Love?

 

When Yamarāja promised 4th benediction to Sāvitri, she asked in careful words: May I become mother to 100 hundred sons of Satyavān, for perpetuation of his dynasty

 

Yamarāja granted Sāvitri’s wish & pleaded her to go home. However, she continued describing glories of righteousness. At last, Yamarāja said: The more I listen to your words of wisdom, more respect I have for you. Therefore I shall reward you with one last benediction

 

This time Sāvitri replied: You have already given me benediction of having 100 sons. As you well know, this is impossible without my husband & so you must bring Satyavān back to life, for without him I’ve no interest in living, even in heaven. Yamarāja finally relented by releasing Satyavān’s subtle body from his noose. He said: Your husband will rise up to become even more strong & healthy and will live with you for 400 years. Indeed, he will attain great fame in this world. You can be assured that benedictions I awarded will manifest in due course of time. Saying this Yamarāja returned to his abode

 

Sāvitri went back to where her husband’s lifeless corpse was lying in forest. She sat down with his head on her lap & at that moment he began to regain consciousness. When Satyavān opened his eyes, he looked at Sāvitri with great affection. He exclaimed: I slept for such a long time, why you didn’t wake me up earlier? In my dreams I saw a dreadful person trying to drag me. Where is he now?

 

Sāvitri said: You had indeed slept for a long time. Pls get up for night has already fallen. The person you saw was Yamarāja, but fortunately he has departed. Satyavān stood up & recounting his experience he asked Sāvitri, what had happened? If she knows the truth, pls tell me. Was I dreaming or was this a reality?

 

Sāvitri said: Let’s return home first as your parents would be waiting for us. I will tell you soon

 

Meanwhile Dyumatsena miraculously regained his sight. As Satyavān & Sāvitri returned after much delay, they all had a joyful & tearful union. When asked about reason for delay in returning from forest, Satyavān said he had terrible pain in head & fell ill

 

Sage Gautam who was also around said: Actually, Satyavān doesn’t know real reason for his delay & also why his father’s vision is miraculously restored. Perhaps Sāvitri can explain this properly

 

Sāvitri recounted: Before my marriage, Nārada Muni had predicted that Satyavān would die after exactly 01 year. That destined day is today. It is for this reason, I insisted on accompanying my husband to forest. When he became ill, he lost consciousness & Yamarāja personally came to drag him away. I followed my husband & by pleasing Yamarāja with my speech, I received 5 benedictions- My father-in-law regains both his sight & kingdom, my father receives 100 sons, I receive 100 sons from Satyavān & he comes back to life

 

All praised Sāvitri very highly for rescuing her relatives from their distressed conditions

 

Love is often considered in these times as how we feel & how other person makes us feel good. But love means sacrifice-It's about giving due respect to other person's needs, interests & concerns and subordinate ours

 

If we reject this sacrificial spirit, we deprive ourselves of the capacity to truly love and our love remains superficial, as does our relationship

 

Thoughts? #gameoflife


Comments

Popular posts from this blog