Education!

 

Sāvitri requested his in-laws to let her go with Satyavān to forest today, for she has not left the aāsrama even once during the year she has resided there. Dyumatsena readily gave permission & said: Dear daughter-in-law, during the whole time you lived here, this is the first thing you’ve requested from me. Pls go!

 

Sāvitri went along with her husband & as they walked along forest path, he pointed out the various features of beautiful scenery. At heart Sāvitri was very pained, but she still tried to keep cheerful countenance. Satyavān collected fruits & cut branches from trees & soon due to heavy labor, perspired and his body began to ache

 

Finally, he told Sāvitri: My head hurts like it is being pierced by hundred darts. I cannot stand now & will lie down to sleep for a while. Remembering Nārada’s words, Sāvitri sat on ground & placed his head on her lap. Then as her husband’s final moment arrived, she saw a huge person having a dark complexion arriving before her. He had reddish eyes, dressed in red, wearing a golden crown & was carrying a noose in his hands. He was very dreadful to see

 

Sāvitri gently placed husband’s head on ground & with a trembling heart inquired: My dear sir! What you intend to do. He said: I am Yamrāja, Lord of death. Because of your austerities & devotion towards your husband, I’ve personally come here. I’ll now bind him with my noose & take him to my abode

 

Sāvitri said: I‘ve heard it is your agents who come to take away human beings at the time of death. Why you’ve personally come to take my husband?

 

Yamrāja said: Satyavān is a great soul & so he doesn’t deserve to be dragged away by my ghastly servants. So, I’ve come here. After saying this Yamrāja forcibly pulled the soul from his body. When the body thus became devoid of life, it lost its former luster & was repugnant to behold. With the subtle coverings (mind, intelligence & ego) of Satyavān’s soul tightly bound by ropes, Yamarāja proceeded towards south

 

Sāvitri followed the Lord of death by the power of her austerities & chastity, combined with mercy of Yamarāja. He repeatedly urged her saying: O virtuous lady, please desist. Instead of uselessly following me go back & perform funeral ceremony for your dead husband. No need to accompany your husband as you’ve already fulfilled your obligations towards him. She said: I’ll follow my husband, whether he goes of his own accord or is forced by another. It is commonly understood that friendship is established when 2 persons have taken 7 steps together, hence if you don’t mind, I shall say something to you. After he nodded in consent, she spoke on the subject of morality

 

She concluded: Simply to pass thro’ 4 stages of life-Brahmacārya, grhatha, vanaprastha & sannyāsa-does not, in itself constitute virtue. It is perfect fulfillment of any one of these āsramas that awards one that tangible merit. Since I’ve attained the result of virtue in one of the āsramas (household life), I’ve no desire to pass on to the next (renounced life). Yamraja was pleased with her

 

Real education gives enlightment, engagement & encouragement to be disciplined, diligent and morally strong. It gives vision to see which choices we make give what consequences. A holistic world view to make informed decision

 

It provides practical tools to tread the way we've chosen & positive focus to follow the process to unleash our potential

 

Thoughts? #gameoflife


Comments

Popular posts from this blog