Dharma!


Bhima captive in the coils of snake said: Dear Nahusa! I know that destiny is supreme & so I don’t grieve about myself but feel sorry for my poor brothers. When they find that I died, they’ll certainly lose enthusiasm to regain their kingdom. And my helpless mother, who is now living amongst evil sons of Dhritrāshtra, will also give up all hope


As Bhima lamented about his cruel fate, Yudhisthira observed inauspicious omens & became exceedingly anxious. He fearfully enquired from Draupadi about Bhima, & learned that he had gone off to forest alone that day. YUdhisthira immediately set out with sage Dhaumya following Bhima’s footprint


While going thro’ forest, Yudhisthira saw 1000’s of deers and lions that were killed by Bhima & easily ascertained his brother’s path. Finally, he saw that within a mountain cave, Bhima was caught by gigantic snake. Asking Bhima what has happened, his brother said: This snake has captured me for his food


Yudhisthira said to snake: Pls free my brother & I'll supply any other food you desire


Snake said: I don’t want any other food but Bhima, as he has come of his own accord


Yudhisthira asked: Who are you & is there anything else I can do so you’ll release my brother?


Snake said: Previously I was Nahusa, son of Ayu in Soma dynasty. Because of my great austerities, I was selected to occupy post of Indra. Unfortunately, after achieving success, I became proud & arrogant. Once while 1000’s of Brahmarsis were carrying my palanquin, I offended them & so Agastya cursed me to fall in this abominable condition. If you’re able to answer my questions, I can set your brother free


As Yudhisthira agreed, Nahusa asked: Who is Brāhmanā? What is that that is ultimately to be known?


One who possesses qualities of charity, truthfulness, forgiveness, good conduct, mercy & who observes religious duties is genuine Brāhmanā. The Supreme Brahman, in whom there exists no material qualities, such as happiness & distress is to be known


Nahusa said: Qualities you have listed is sometimes seen in a Sudrā. And regarding the Supreme Brahman, I’ve never seen a living being devoid of happiness & distress


Yudhisthira said: One is not considered a Brāhmanā or Sudrā simply because of birth. It is possession of Brāhmanical qualities that makes one genuine Brāhmanā & lack of them qualifies one as Sudrā. You say you’ve no experience of someone existing beyond material dualities. However, just because you’ve no experience doesn’t mean it doesn't exist. Therefore, your objection is invalid


Knowledge which is based on scripture is absolute. That should be the reference point for us to differentiate between right or wrong. Bhagvad Gita, the manual to lead this human form of life, gives us direction of what to do & what not as prescribed by Supreme Personality of Godhead, Sri Krsna himself. Else our biases are based on our experience, time place & circumstances which is not permanent


dharmaṁ tu sākṣād bhagavat-praṇītaṁ


Thoughts? #gameoflife

Comments

Popular posts from this blog