Equality!

 

Vyāsdev understood everything by his spiritual vision and intercepted Kauravas on the road as they were going to attack Pāndavās & made them give up their wicked intention. He then came to Dhritrāshtra & said: Son! I’m very displeased that Pāndavās have been cheated out of their kingdom & exiled to forest. I had already warned you that by causing dissension amongst the cousin brothers, you’re bringing about destruction of Kuru dynasty

 

Dhritrāshtra said: Dear father! I didn’t favor the dice match & neither did Bhisma, Drona, Krpā & Vidura. And yet under guidance of fate, I followed my son to go ahead with his scheme, bound by parental affection. Vyāsdev said: It’s a fact that a good son is one’s dearest possession. Just to illustrate this truth, I’ll tell you an incident that took place long ago

 

Once upon a time Indra happened to see Surabhi, the mother of cows, weeping. Out of compassion, he asked Surabhi the cause of her sorrow. She said: I’m aggrieved to see the condition of my poor son. She pointed down to the earth where a cruel farmer was beating with a stick a bull pulling his plow. Finally, the bull became so exhausted from the hard labor that he fell to the ground & looked on the verge of death

 

Surabhi said: Indra! The other bull is strong & so he can bear the labor, but my son is lean & weak & beaten by farmer, he has almost lost consciousness. Indra enquired: O Surabhi! Since you have 1000’s of sons engaged in hard labor, why do you feel so sorry for this particular bull? She said: I certainly have affection for all my sons, but my heart is naturally drawn to the one that is weak. After hearing this Indra became convinced that a son is even dearer to a mother than her own life. With a desire to please Surabhi, Indra caused a sudden shower to pour upon earth, due to which farmer’s work was interrupted & Surabhi’s son got some relief

 

Vyāsdev advised: Dhritrāshtra just like Surabhi I’m sure that you’ve affection for your sons. Now let your heart turn towards those sons that are afflicted. I’ve always considered Pāndu, Vidura & You equally. However, since Pāndu begot only 5 sons & you received 101, and because Pāndavās are now in a very precarious position, I’m always troubled by thoughts of how they can be protected & benefitted

 

O King! If you wish that your children may live, let Duryodhana make peace with Pāndavās

 

Dhritrāshtra admitted: I know very well that your advice is sound. Infact Bhisma & Vidura have already spoken same words to me on innumerable occasions. However, if you want your advice to actually bear fruit, pls give it to Duryodhana & not me

 

Vyāsdev informed his son: Very soon after visiting Pāndavās, Maitreya Muni will arrive to admonish Duryodhana. I must warn you that if his advice is ignored, this great powerful sage will curse your son in great anger

 

We normally profess equality as the basis of our dealings but actually practice equality where some are more equal than others. We blatantly take sides when it suits self interest & give excuse to justify the same

 

We are all equal spiritually as souls, though we are materially diverse. This includes animals & other living beings too

 

#gameoflife

Comments

Popular posts from this blog